Its Friday! And I can’t think of a better reason for a margarita…This is a very easy and delicious marg that I make for parties and it’s always a hit! I tend to like my margaritas like I like my men- very hot and spicy, so if you have a low tolerance to heat I would add less cayenne pepper to this drink. Having it really spicy also keeps me from drinking it too fast, which I tend to do, because it is so delicious.
1.5 oz spicy tequila*
1 oz triple sec
¼ cup cilantro (optional)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper ONLY if you aren’t using chili pepper infused tequila.
5 oz orange juice (remember, the better quality the OJ, the better the margarita. I like to use a fresh squeezed variety like Odwalla)
1 cup ice
*There are two ways you can make the spicy tequila. One requires much patience, but is how I prefer it.
- Infuse a bottle of regular tequila with chili peppers: I take about 8 or so dried arbol chili peppers (you can find them in the Mexican food section of the grocery store) cut in half with seeds removed and put them in an almost full 5th of tequila and let sit for 2 or so days before drinking. If you have a low tolerance for spicy things, then you might want to use about 6 peppers.
- If you don’t want a whole bottle of infused tequila, or if you just cant wait that long, then add ¼ to ½ of a teaspoon cayenne pepper to the drink mixture. You may want to start out with ¼ a teaspoon to gauge the spiciness, you can always add more!
1. Cut the lime into to quarter sections and squeeze the juice of the lime into the martini shaker, add the tequila, triple sec and cilantro (also add cayenne if you aren’t using chili pepper infused tequila). Muddle these ingredients (omit muddling step if you aren’t using the cilantro).
2. Add the orange juice and ice to the shaker and shake vigorously for around 15 seconds
3. Serve in a cheesy cactus glass or whatever.